BCA-004: Franklin McGinley collection on Duke Ellington
Memorabilia created by Franklin McGinley for and by Duke Ellington, including a scrapbook, additional clippings, and various commemorative materials. The scrapbook, presumably put together by McGinley, documents the rise of swing music and Duke Ellington and includes autographs by Ellington and other musicians of the period. The remaining loose materials document Ellington's posthumous legacy, with the majority of the clippings consisting of obituaries or coverage of Duke Ellington’s passing in 1974.
- Series 01: Scrapbook 1936-1940
- Scrapbook compiled by Franklin McGinley, documenting the rise of swing music and Duke Ellington, from approximately 1936-1940. The scrapbook has title "Jazz" and has a table of contents which divides the book into four chapters (Opus one: The thing; Also two: About and by; Also three: Pictures; And four: "The Duke"). Contents include newspaper clippings, autographs, drawings, programs, and magazine articles. Notable autographs include: Roy Eldridge, Coleman Hawkins, Louis Armstrong, Jimmy Blanton, Harry Carney, and Duke Ellington., Created by Franklin McGinley
- Series 02: Clippings
- Loose clippings compiled by Franklin McGinley, documenting Duke Ellington’s death and posthumous legacy. The majority of the clippings are obituaries or coverage of Duke Ellington’s passing in 1974.
- Series 03 : Correspondence & memorabilia
- Miscellaneous materials compiled by Franklin McGinley on Duke Ellington: a holiday card signed by Ellington, an Ellington Centennial concert program signed by Wynton Marsalis (1999), and commemorative issues of Jet (1974) and the Boston Globe Magazine (1993).